The Diploma in Community Health (DCH) programme is one of the oldest training programmes in Amref Health Africa. It was launched in 1987 in conjunction with McMaster University in Canada. The course is currently accredited to Moi University, Eldoret. The programme has evolved from a face-to-face training into an eLearning course so as to enable health workers access the course while at the same time continue to provide critical services in their employment.
The course targets middle-level health care workers, who provide over 80 per cent of healthcare services in developing countries. This category of health workers improve accessibility and cost-effectiveness of health care services by reaching out to underserved communities with high impact primary health care programmes. Since inception over 700 health workers from 35 African countries have graduated from the programme.
The Diploma programme is designed to enable graduates acquire in-depth knowledge, practical skills and competencies that will be useful in facilitating communities to plan and manage their own health and development. The graduates are expected to provide leadership in planning and management of health services, and especially at the county/district and community levels.
Programme Graduates Competencies
DCH graduates will be prepared to undertake different roles and functions at National, County/regional and Community levels in various countries in Africa. Upon completion of the programme, the graduates will be able to undertake effectively the following functions and responsibilities;
- Manage Community Health programmes at various levels
- Plan and implement surveillance and control of common diseases
- Plan and conduct community health diagnosis
- Develop and implement training programmes for community education, mobilization and advocacy for both the health workers and the communities
- Participate in the management of disasters and emergencies
- Mobilize communities and advocate for promotion and maintenance of good health
- Develop proposals for funding community projects
The programme is intended for persons working in health and development organizations with special interest in community health.
Course Duration and Design
The programme takes 12 months and covers 40 units which are contained in 11 modules distributed within three (3) terms. The programme is competence based, and the courses are organized in a logical, sequential order to facilitate the process of learning. The students will be required to undertake an elective course and a research project, which will require close supervision by experienced practitioners and researchers.
It is offered through eLearning with only face-to-face exams at the end of each term.
1. Principles of Community Health
2. Epidemiology & Biostatistics
3. Research Methodology
4. Community-Based Health Care
5. Behaviour, Health Education & Health Promotion
6. Prevention and Control of Common Diseases
7. Family Health & Nutrition
8. Teaching Methodology
9. Environmental and Occupational Health
10. Disaster Preparedness and Management
11. Health Service Management
Note! You can enroll for any of the DCH Modules as a short course & get an Amref Health Africa Certificate in the module
We have 12 exam centres across Africa.
- Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Juba, South Sudan
- Kampala, Uganda
- Kumbo, Cameroon
- Lilongwe, Malawi
- Luanda, Angola
- Lusaka, Zambia
- Maridi, South Sudan
- Mwanza, Tanzania
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Pretoria, South Africa
- Windhoek, Namibia
For admission into the Diploma in Community Health, a candidate must posses a minimum of two-year training in health or health-related fields
Other key competencies required are;
- Computer skills to enable one to learn using online resources and methods
- Competence in both written and spoken English
Return filled-in application form together with;
- Certified Copies of relevant transcripts and certificates
- One passport size photograph
- Copy of national ID/ passport
- Updated CV
- Application fee of Kshs 1,500 for Kenyan applicants and USD 20 for non-Kenyans
The Training Administrator – Diploma in Community Health Programme
Amref Health Africa International Training Centre
P.O Box 27691-00506, Nairobi, Kenya
Mobile Number: +254 741 743 871
Land line: +254-020-6993000/ 6993205
Fax: 254 (0) 20 6009518