1. What is distance learning?
Distance learning refers to any education that is conducted outside of a traditional classroom setting. Generally speaking, distance learning follows one of two models: the print based course or the online course.
2. What is print based learning?
Print based learning is a mode of distance learning. It is the developing of skills and obtaining of knowledge using print based materials.
3. What is eLearning?
eLearning is a mode of distance learning. It is the developing of skills and obtaining of knowledge using electronic means, hence the "e" in "eLearning!"
4. What are the benefits of eLearning?
- No time spent commuting/traveling to a campus
- No additional travel costs to add to the family budget
- Continue working at your current job while you take classes, thus allowing you to earn a living and gain work experience, applying your course work
- Your learning options are not constrained by your geographic location
- You can learn at your own pace and study at your convenience
- Additional benefits of learning new technologies and practicing the use of the Internet, office software, etc.
- You will meet and work with fellow nurses from all over Kenya
- All students are 100 percent equal: your work will stand on merits alone, and you will not be treated differently based upon race, sex, creed, sexual orientation, religion, disability, etc.
5. What are the demerits of eLearning?
- Need to allow for time required to boot up computer
- At times, you may experience feelings of isolation or a sense of detachment from your school
- You will be required to be able to work unsupervised (i.e. you will have to problem solve solutions independently)
- You must be self-motivated and disciplined to progress through your programme in a timely manner
6. What is the difference between distance learning and traditional classroom learning?
The components of distance learning and traditional classroom learning are the same. However, the mode of delivery differs.
7. What are the minimum requirements for enrolling onto the Programme?
- Be a KECHN
- Have a division IV or KCSE D
8. What costs do the students cost incurred for enrolling onto the Programme?
The fee structure comprises of:
- Nursing Council fees
- Examination fees
9. Is the eLearning Nurses’ Upgrading Programme accredited?
The Programme is accredited by the training institutions as well as the Nursing Council of Kenya
10. How long will the Programme take?
The minimum recommended duration for the upgrading Programme is 22 months
11. Do I need to be computer literate?
No. You will only require the very minimum information