Course Information Sheet
Strengthening laboratory systems and capacity for improved diagnostics services
Laboratory services are an essential component of health care delivery, particularly in tropical countries where basic tests play a major role in the diagnosis and management of common diseases and conditions. Improved diagnosis contributes to the rational use of essential drugs and plays an important role in the control of diseases of public health importance.
There are few opportunities for continuing professional development of laboratory workers in Africa. With several years of experience in running refresher courses for laboratory workers, Amref Health Africa has developed a course designed to assist in the operation of a laboratory at peripheral level.
To strengthen laboratory diagnostic services through practical refresher training on essential laboratory procedures and management practices.
- To improve laboratory quality management systems and practices,
- To demonstrate technical competence of the participants to perform laboratory tests to a high standard, incorporating appropriate quality control procedures,
- To improve the role of laboratory in surveillance of integrated diseases surveillance and response.
The course emphasizes the importance of communication and collaboration between laboratory workers and health staff of all cadres.
The Refresher Course in Essential Laboratory Services leads to a certificate on completion.
The contents of the course are:
- Laboratory quality management practices: health facility management, concepts on laboratory accreditation, personnel management, records & documents, equipment management, commodity management, laboratory bio-security, customer service, audits & management review.
- Laboratory Technical Testing procedures and processes: systematic approaches to laboratory investigations, preparation of laboratory chemicals & reagents, QA/QC in laboratory investigations, haematological examinations, parasitological examinations, bacteriological examinations, serological tests, flow Cytometry, clinical chemistry tests, histological and cytological techniques, role of laboratory in disease outbreak investigation.
- Supervised laboratory practical sessions to supplement each technical testing procedure
- Field work – two weeks practical attachment in high-volume testing hospital-based laboratory.
- Project case study write-up for IDSR Priority diseases.
Participants should be holders of certificate or diploma in medical laboratory technology, with at least 2 years practical experience. Bench-trained laboratory workers MUST have at least 5 years practical experience. All participants must be competent in written and spoken English.
Fees: US$ 4,200
- US$ 2,380 covers tuition, books and reference materials, laboratory chemicals and reagents, stationery, photocopies, pupil’s pass, minor health services at the Amref Health Africa Staff Clinic, field trips and administrative costs.
- US$ 1,820 covers accommodation, meals, local travel, living allowance within Nairobi.
Fees do not cover travel expenses from the participant’s working station to Nairobi and management of pre-existing medical conditions.
Duration and location
The course will run for 10 weeks starting between April 24, to June 30, 2017. It will be conducted at the Amref Health Africa in Nairobi Kenya next to Wilson Airport.
For further details about the course and to request for application forms please contact: