Courses are offered via distance/eLearning mode and residential training employing flexible approaches that allows you to study at your own time and pace for those who are in service.
1. KRN/KRCHN/KRM/KRPN – Bsc.Nursing Upgrading Programme (offered in partnership with the University of Nairobi)
The focus of this course is practice-based learning. This enables the learner to acquire knowledge and competencies to be sensitive and responsive to current health care trends and issues in developing countries. The comprehensive curriculum is designed to meet the challenges of health care delivery and the high demands placed on nurses, who are the majority health services providers in Africa. The curriculum covers biomedical and behavioural sciences, clinical sciences, midwifery, community health and psychiatric nursing, research, adult and pediatric nursing, leadership and critical care nursing.
Duration: 2 ½ years (8 trimesters)
Intake: March and September
Requirements: a KRN/KRCHN/KRM/KRPN with two years experience. Must have attained Division 2 or a mean grade of C plain with a C plain in English/Kiswahili.
2. ECHN to KRCHN Upgrading Programme (eLearning)
This two-year diploma course enables Kenya Enrolled Community Nurses (KECHN) to upgrade to the Kenya Registered Community Health Nurses (KRCHN). Unsecured financing is available for this course from the Kenya Women’s Finance Trust supported by Johnson&Johnson
Admission criteria: Be a Kenya Enrolled Community Health Nurse (KECHN)
Intake: March and September
3. Enrolled Nurse/Midwife (EN/M) to KRCHN Upgrading Programme (eLearning)
This course enables Enrolled Nurses/Midwives (EN/Ms) to upgrade to Kenya Registered Community Health Nurses (KRCHN).
Admission criteria: Be an Enrolled Nurse Midwife
Intake: March and September
4. Comprehensive Reproductive Health Course (eLearning)
This one-year diploma course is accredited by the Ministry of Health. Those who successfully complete the course are certified by the Ministry of Health and Amref Health Africa.
NB: There is also a residential certificate course that takes four weeks.
Admission criteria: Nurses and midwives with a Diploma in their respective disciplines
Intake: January and September
5. Leadership, management and governance
This is a six-month distance education course with a supervised workplace health facility quality improvement practical project.
Admission criteria: Be a health worker: Doctors, nurses, midwives, clinical officers, nutritionists, lab technologists and all other health professionals.
Intake: February and July
6. Clinical Teaching, Assessing and Mentorship (school-based)
This is a two-week school-based course, including practicals.
Admission Criteria: All health workers qualify
Intake: January, May and September
7. Emergency First Aid (Basic Life support) Course
A 3 day course that aims at equipping the participant with the basic knowledge and skills to manage all kinds of emergencies. Emergencies can occur anywhere and anytime.
With these skills, the provider is equipped with all the basic skills and knowledge to attend to any emergency situation. The training quips the provider with the out of hospital skills as they make arrangements to transfer to hospital or before qualified medical help come.
Train with the best in this field that have extensive knowledge and skills on the pre-hospital care. The training is facilitated by our full time qualified Critical Care flight nurses and doctors who incorporate training with demonstrations to suit the situation at hand.
The training targets any person interested in being equipped with all the basic skills to manage emergencies as they arise. Basic requirement is being conversant with written and or spoken English/Swahili
8.0 Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Advanced Trauma Life Support (ACLS and ATLS) course
These 2 trainings target all health care givers with the intricate skills and knowledge to manage critical patients who require both advanced cardiac life support and advanced trauma life support care.
With extensive training in advanced life support and aeromedical transport, one will get the very best of training from experienced personnel and use state of the art pre-hospital equipment at the skills stations.
Other Amref Health Africa academic and short course/ services tailor made to customer needs (individuals, organizations, county governments and ministries of health)
- Diplomma in Community Health (DCH)
- Masters in Public Health (MPH)
- Bsc. Community Health
- Curriculum development
- First Aid skills for non medical persons
- Family planning skills training (short term and long term methods)
- Facilitation Skills
- Organizational capacity assessment
- Midwifery teaching skills training
- Leadership, management and governance for health professionals
- Disaster management
- Hospitals management for county governments health managers
- Library skills for undergraduate and post graduate students
- Monitoring and evaluation of health programmes and projects
- Impact assessment of health programmes and projects
- Finance resources management for non finance managers
- Clinical and community nutrition
- Occupational Health and safety
- Health Care management
- Adolescent and sexuality education
- Medical Laboratory practices and management course
- External competency assessment of malaria microscopists
- Nutrition care in disaster situations
- Health system strengthening (HSS)
- Communication and writing skills for managers
- Hospital safety and infection control
- Distance learning content development
- E -learning content development
- Data analysis and report writing
- Comprehensive HIV/AIDS management including STIs
- Emergency Obstetric and neonatal care
- Project design and management
- Fundraising and budgeting
- Devolved governance of health services
- Grants management
- HIV/AIDS counseling
- Health Care financing
- Non communicable diseases management (NCDs)
- Tropical diseases
- Quality assurance in delivery of health services
- Neonatal life support training
- Skills lab management training
- Business skills for private health practitioners
- Risk management for organizations
- Helping Babies Breath (HBB) skills training
- Neonatal life support skills
- Forensic Nursing
Upcoming ODeL and pre-service Courses (work in progress)
- Higher diploma in counseling psychology
- Pre-service KRCHN training (fresh entry from O-levels)
- Higher Diploma in Trauma and emergency care for health professionals.
- Higher Diploma in health systems management
- Higher Diploma in health economics and informatics
- Higher Diploma in Psychiatric Nursing via blended e-Learning
- Higher Diploma in community development
- Higher Diploma in international health
- Higher Diploma in Maternal and child health
- Higher Diploma in environmental Health
- Higher Diploma in epidemiology and demography
- Higher Diploma in Tropical and infectious diseases
- Higher Diploma in Laboratory sciences
- Higher Diploma in Nutrition and dietetics
- Higher Diploma in Computing and Biostatistics
- Higher Diploma in Pharmacy
- Higher Diploma in Medical Education
To apply, send in your application with copies of academic and professional certificates, indicating clearly which course AND which intake you are interested in. Please provide your contact details, including telephone number(s) in the application letter.
To apply for Bsc.Nursing an application fee of Ksh3000, is paid to the University of Nairobi Barclays bank account. To apply for all the other courses ksh. 1000 application fee is paid to AMREF account. The application or further enquiries should be addressed to:
The Principal, AMREF Virtual Training School
Directorate of Capacity Building
AMREF Health Africa Headquarters, Opposite Wilson Airport, Lang’ata Road
PO Box 27691 – 00506, Nairobi – Kenya
Tel: 020 699 3000
To download our application form, click on the link below: