Laboratory services are an essential component of health care delivery, particularly in tropical countries where basic tests play a major role in the diagnosis and management of common diseases and conditions. Improved diagnosis contributes to the rational use of essential drugs and plays an important role in the control of diseases of public health importance.
There are few opportunities for continuing professional development of laboratory workers in Africa. With several years of experience in running refresher courses for laboratory workers, AMREF has developed a course designed to assist in the operation of a laboratory at peripheral level.
To strengthen laboratory diagnostic services through practical refresher training on essential laboratory procedures and management practices
- Perform essential laboratory tests to a high standard, incorporating appropriate quality control procedures;
- Perform basic maintenance procedures on laboratory equipment;
- Conduct laboratory management activities;
- Develop an approach to laboratory quality management;
- Develop an approach to disease control and the investigation of epidemics.
The course emphasizes the importance of communication and collaboration between laboratory workers and health staff of all cadres.
The Refresher Course in Essential Laboratory Services leads to a certificate on completion. The contents of the course are:
- Concepts on laboratory accreditation
- Setting up the laboratory
- Laboratory ethics
- Laboratory records and documents
- Preventive care and maintenance procedures for laboratory equipment
- Systematic approach to laboratory investigations
- Interpretation and clinical significance of laboratory tests
- Laboratory bio-safety and bio-security
- Laboratory mathematics
- Counselling skills
- Field work
- Special projects on case studies focusing on disease outbreaks
Participants should be holders of certificate or diploma in medical laboratory technology, with at least 2 years practical experience. Bench-trained laboratory workers MUST have at least 5 years practical experience. All participants must be competent in written and spoken English.
Fees: US$ 4,200
- US$ 1,800 covers tuition, books, course materials, stationery, photocopies, pupil’s pass, minor health services at the AMREF Staff Clinic and field trips
- US$ 2,400 covers accommodation, food, local travel, living allowance within Nairobi.
Fees do not cover travel expenses from the participant’s working station to Nairobi and management of pre-existing medical conditions.
Duration and location
The course will run for 12 weeks starting between April 1, 2013 and June 21, 2013 and is located at the AMREF Kenya Country Office at Wilson Airport
For further details about the course and to request for application forms please contact: